Virginia Tech®home

CEECL Support Page

Classes and Student Organizations

The CEECL administrators and graduate assistant provide services to all faculty, staff, and students in the Civil and Environmental Engineering department. Please check all of the information that is available from our FAQ or instructions posted in the computer lab.

However, if you are experiencing problems and problem solutions are not available from our websites, please contact our computer lab personnel. We will attempt to answer all your questions and serve you as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If you want to contact us by e-mail, you can request help using the CEE Help Desk (support only for departmental computing or network problems – no application support).

Computer Support :

Computer Maintenance Checklist

For a New Computer:

  • Install Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition
  • Run Microsoft Update for Windows
  • Run Microsoft Update for Office

Regular Maintenance:

  • Run Microsoft Update for Windows
  • Run Microsoft Update for Office
  • Defragment Hard Drive

A great reference for Computer Maintenance/Problems is the VT Computing Page.

Run Microsoft Update for Windows:

  1. Go to
  2. Click on “Product Updates”
  3. Select any recommended “Critical Updates”
  4. Hit “Download”

This process may take a few minutes, do not interrupt!

Run Microsoft Update for Office:For this update, you will need a CD of MSOffice. Be sure to have the CD handy before you start.

  1. Go to
  2. Click on “Update Your Software”
  3. Select any recommended updates
  4. Hit “Start Installation”

Defragment Hard Drive:This operation will take some time, plan accordingly.

  1. Close all applications
  2. Click on the “Start” button
  3. Go to “Programs”
  4. Go to “Accessories”
  5. Go to “System Tools”
  6. Select “Disk Defragmenter”
  7. Highlight “C:” Drive
  8. Select “Defragment”


If you are interested in creating a website that features official CEE research and educational projects under the domain, you may use the VT web hosting service at Additional information can be found at The CEE Department does not provide support for this service. However, to request a site name under the domain, a faculty member must submit a request through the CEE Help Desk. Provided there are no naming conflicts, a response will then be forwarded to for processing.