Raymond H. Plaut
Dan Pletta Professor Emeritus
Areas of Interest :
Stability of structures; Dynamics of structures; Biomechanics
- B.S. Engineering, California Institute of Technology 1963
- M.S. Applied Mechanics, University of California at Berkeley, 1964
- Ph.D. Applied Mechanics, University of California at Berkeley, 1967
- 2012-present: Voluntary teacher's aide, Gilbert Linkous kindergarten, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 2008-11: Voluntary teacher's aide, Head Start pre-school, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1992-2008: Dan H. Pletta Professor of Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1981-82: Visiting Professor, Solid Mechanics, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
- 1975-92: Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 1973-75: Associate Professor (Research), Applied Mathematics and Engineering, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- 1971, Summer: Visiting Professor, Solid Mechanics, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- 1968-73: Assistant Professor (Research), Applied Mathematics and Engineering, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- 1967-68: Temporary Lecturer, Theoretical Mechanics, University of Nottingham, England
- R. H. Plaut, Stability and response bounds for structures under dynamic loads, Global Analysis of Nonlinear Dynamics, Chapter 8, J.-Q. Sun and A. C. J. Luo, editors, Springer, New York, 2012.
- R. H. Plaut, A. D. Borum, and D. A. Dillard, Analysis of carbon nanotubes and graphene nanoribbons with folded racket shapes, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 134(2), 2012, paper 021009.
- R. H. Plaut and T. C. Stephens, Geotextile tubes dewatering mine tailings slurry with frictional interface, Proceedings of GeoAmericas 2012, Lima, Peru, May 2-5.
- R. H. Plaut and T. C. Stephens, Analysis of geotextile tubes containing slurry and consolidated solids with frictional interface, Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 32(1), 2012, 38-43.
- R. H. Plaut, C. D. Moen, and R. Cojocaru, Beam deflections and stresses during lifting, Proceedings of the 2011 SSRC Annual Stability Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, May 10-14.
- R. H. Plaut, D. A. Dillard, and A. Borum, Collapse of heavy cantilevered elastica with frictional internal support, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 78(4), 2011, paper 041011.
- R. H. Plaut and D. A. Dillard, Instability of flexible strip hanging over edge of flat frictional surface, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 78(3), 2011, paper 031011.
- R. H. Plaut and L. N. Virgin, Optimal design of cantilevered elastica for minimum tip deflection under self-weight, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 43(5), 2011, 657-664.
- R. H. Plaut, Two-dimensional analysis of peeling adhesive tape from human skin, Journal of Adhesion, 86(11), 2010, 1086-1110.