Antoine G. Hobeika
Areas of Interest :
Transportation Planning and Evaluation,Transportation Simulation and Modeling, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Transportation Emergency Management
- B.S in Civil Engineering, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- M.E in Civil Engineering, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Ph.D in Civil Engineering( Transportation), Purdue.
- Member of the Technical Review Team for the National ITS System Architecture, appointed by FHWA.
- Distinguished University Fellow of ITS America.
- Invited to testify before the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works regarding the reauthorization of federal Surface Transportation Act, May 1991,Washington,D.C.And also invited to testify on “Intelligent Vehicle/Highway Systems” before the Subcommittee on Science, Space, and Technology, U.S. House of Representatives (102 Congress),April 16, 1991. (Appeared in U.S. government Printing Office, Doc. No. 23 p. 152-168). Both testimonies led to the authorization of $5.9 million for the “Smart Road” project in Southwest Virginia in the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 that paved the way for the initial development of the “Smart Road”
- Member of the University Road Connection, a volunteer organization, which supported the development of the “Smart Road”
- Founded and directed the Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research.
- Director and Principal Investigator, Intelligent Transportation Systems Research Center of Excellence, funded by Federal Highway Administration, Eight faculty from the College of Engineering were involved).
- Appointed by Virginia Governor as a Judge on the Peer Panel for the Governor’s Energy Awards Program.
- Community Service Award, Town of Blacksburg, Virginia.
- International Road Federation Fellowship,Purdue University
- Engineering Honors,American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Dean of Engineering Scholarship,American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Graduation with Distinction,International College, Beirut, Lebanon.
- Planning Transportation Facilities
- Transportation and Land Use
- Transportation Systems Planning
- TRansportation ANalysis SIMulation System as part of the Travel Model Improvement Program(FHWA)
- ITS Safety Applications on two lane rural roads-A case study of Route 114
in Montgomery county , Virginia
- Area-wide Incident Management System(FHWA/VDOT)
- Optimal Route Diversion Strategies in congested networks(U.S.DOT/VDOT)
- Rural Applications of Advanced Traveler Information Systems(JHK/FHWA)
- Integrated Emergency Management of Transportation Services after Major earthquakes(NSF)
- Hobeika, A.G., Sivanandan, R., Jehanian, K., Ameen, M., “Advanced Traveler Information System Users’ Needs in the I-95 Northeast Corridor,” Transportation Research Record 1537, 1996.
- Sherali, H.D., Namita, A., and Hobeika, A.G., “Parameter Optimization Methods for Estimating Origin-Destination Trip Tables,” Transportation Research-B Journal, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp.141-157, 1997.
- Hobeika, A.G., Kim, S., and Beckwith, R., “A Decision Support System for Developing Evacuation Plans Around Nuclear Power Stations,” Interface Journal, Institute of Management Science, September, 1994.
- Hobeika, A.G., Sivanandan, T., Subramaniam, S., Ozbay, K., and Zhang, Y., “A Real Time Diversion of Freeway Traffic: A Conceptual Approach,” ASCE’s Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 119. No. 4, pp. 515-534, July, 1993.
- Hobeika, A.G., Trani, A.A., Sherali, H.D., and Kim, B.J., “Microcomputer Program for Optimal Location and Design of High Speed Exits at Airports,” Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering/ASCE, April, 1993.
- Hobeika, A.G., and Kim S., and Sethuraman, R., “Characteristics of Hazardous Materials Accidents/Incidents in Pennsylvania,” ASCE, Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 119, No. 2, pp. 212-216, March 1993.