Virginia Tech® home

Research Abroad

Please see Travel Preparation & Safety Abroad for Undergraduate & Graduate students. This information helps students who are travelling on their own or without an official group (conferences, research, etc).

Students interested in research abroad experiences may contact Lindy Cranwell,, for how to begin finding an opportunity. Some resources are available to start your search below.

IRES (International Research Experiences for Students) at Virginia Tech

The below is copied from NAFSA:

Researching Abroad

Chateaubriand Fellowship Program
The Chateaubriand Fellowship is a grant offered by the Embassy of France in the United States. It supports outstanding Ph.D. students from American universities who wish to conduct research in France for a period ranging from 4 to 9 months.

Chinese Government Scholarships
Funding to support international students, teachers, and scholars to study and conduct research in China at various universities.

DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service
Funding for participation in summer internships or senior thesis research at German universities. Long term scholarships are available for semester or year study abroad.

Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Offers fellowships for U.S. graduating seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists to study abroad and engage in a research project for one academic year. The Program also includes the English Teaching Assistantwork abroad component.

Nakatani Research and International Experience for Students in Japan (Nakatani RIES) Fellowship
The Nakatani RIES Fellowship for U.S. students is a 13-week, summer research internship in science and engineering that is open to freshman and sophomore engineering students from universities nationwide. 

ThinkSwiss Research Scholarships
ThinkSwiss Scholarships support highly motivated and qualified U.S. and Canadian undergraduate and graduate students to get a research experience at a public Swiss university or Swiss research institute for 2 to 3 months.

Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program
This program sends young Biomedical Engineers, anywhere outside the U.S. or Canada for one or more of the following activities: Conducting academic or scientific research in a university or laboratory; Pursuing coursework at an academic institution; or Interning at a policy institute, or in an industrial or non-profit setting. Must be enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program.